5 Health Benefits Of Marriage – To The Right Person

2011-10-20 | |
Last updated: 2011-10-20

Marriage has long served as an official way of recognizing the coupling relationship between a woman and man, but as cultures have changed, its importance and urgency has declined in many locations around the world. Over the last few decades, marriage rates have continued to fall as people choose to remain single or opt to live together outside of marriage. While the implications of such changes to society can be long debated, the effects of marriage on our health are certainly clearer.

According to medical research, there are quite a number of important health benefits that come with being married. Of course, it is not simply being married that aids our health, but rather being in a stable, comfortable relationship with a significant other. While advocates of marriage and the more traditional rules of partnering may disagree, involvement in any dependable, caring relationship is likely to provide these same benefits. It is just that most researchers classify their results in terms of more traditional definitions.

How Much Of The Population Is Married?

Based on recent statistics, only about 52% of adults in the US are married. In the UK, Canada and the US, marriage rates have hit record lows in recent years. The current decline in marriage rates started in the 1960s and has not changed direction since. As of 2004, 15% of those who were unmarried were adults over the age of 65, representing the age group with the highest rates of marriage.

As the low rate of unmarried people over 65 shows, the rates of marriage vary considerably by group. For example, not all races contribute equally to the lower rates of marriage. In the US, Caucasians represents 77% of those who are unmarried while people of other ethnicities make up the remaining 23%. Women make up 56% of those who are unmarried. Such differences can be examined many different ways.

Pages: 1 2 3

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Disease Information, General Health, Health Risks

Comments are closed.