Wellescent Health Forums
Can RA cause memory loss? - Printable Version

+- Wellescent Health Forums
+-- Forum: Inflammatory Arthritis
+--- Forum: Rheumatoid Arthritis
+---- Forum: Background Information on Rheumatoid Arthritis
+---- Thread: Can RA cause memory loss? (http://wellescent.com/health_forum/thread-1679-can_ra_cause_memory_loss-background_information_on_rheumatoid_arthritis.html)

Pages: 1 2

Can RA cause memory loss? - member71440  - 06-15-2012 12:40 AM

I am starting to be forgetful and it has me worried. I have forgotten appointments, left stuff on the stove and even written emails that I couldn't remember writing. It is such an uncomfortable feeling. My brain seems to be in a bit of a fog so much of the time and I am afraid I will make a bad mistake at work. I have been looking all over to find any link between RA and memory loss but nothing so far. Does anyone have similar experiences or suggestions? I am very concerned.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member91914  - 06-15-2012 04:29 PM

I can't say about the RA causing memory problems but medications can certainly do that to you. I would look up the side effects of your medications and see if any could be responsible. Then consult your physician to find out if he can prescribe an alternative. Your doctor should be able to help you work through to determine which medication is causing the problem.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member91883  - 06-15-2012 08:48 PM

Like Tatia said, it could definitely be your medications. If you're being treated for RA, then one of the side effects might be affecting your memory.

Also, how old are you? What is your stress level like right now? You could simply be stressed enough that your memory is flaking out temporarily.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member58157  - 06-16-2012 06:57 PM

You problably want to work with your doctor as Tatia says, but I would also try not to stress too much over it. Just treat it like another symptom that requires treatment. Over the years with RA, I noticed that I am very sensitive about symptoms and often try to find a link between them and my RA even when there is none.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member71440  - 06-18-2012 12:03 AM

enmoxy you are right that I am associating everything with the disease. I didn't even consider my medications. I was also reading about fibromyalgia and the fog that it can cause. I should probably get checked to see if I have that too since it is often linked to RA. There are many different areas to investigate. Be calm, be calm.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member64362  - 06-18-2012 09:17 AM

As others have said, it could be something to do with your medication, or it could be stress related. Another thing to consider is that if you are in constant pain, that can also affect you mentally. You may become depressed, or the pain may be so severe that it affects your concentration. Talk it over with your doctor. I don't think the RA is directly affecting your memory, but it could be playing a part.

Are you including oily fish in your diet? Omega-3 is good for brain health, and it's also anti-inflammatory, so it could be very helpful. It may help to take a fish oil supplement - ask your doctor about this.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member57370  - 06-18-2012 03:54 PM

A few more ideas to consider:

1) Is poor sleep quality might causing the issue. If you are experiencing serious pain, it could be really affecting how rested you get.
2) Are you having anxiety from any pain or RA disability?

Either of these could make your memory less effective because you are distracted.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member71440  - 06-19-2012 11:27 PM

Thanks lillypowder65. I am going to consider everything and focus on getting to the bottom of this. My doctor's appointment is Thursday.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member36015  - 07-13-2012 09:37 AM

I may be wrong but I think the memory loss associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis is caused by depression and sleeping problems. I don't think memory loss is directly related to Rheumatois Arthritis, but rather indirectly related. I'm fairly sure it's not the cause of memory loss.

RE: Can RA cause memory loss? - member19509  - 04-16-2015 02:27 AM

(07-13-2012 09:37 AM)shaun Wrote:  I may be wrong but I think the memory loss associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis is caused by depression and sleeping problems. I don't think memory loss is directly related to Rheumatois Arthritis, but rather indirectly related. I'm fairly sure it's not the cause of memory loss.

I am so glad you said this because I asked my doctor and he made the same statement. I have also become very forgetful. Maybe because I have so many other things on my mind. Also, I suffer from major depression. Therefore, I am most certain memory loss has a lot to do with my depression.